INTERNATIONAL SUMO FEDERATION RULES
<< Prev Chapter 4 - Chapter 6 Next >>
Chapter 4 Officers, etc
Article 15 Officers
The IFS shall appoint the following officers.
(3) Secretary General
One (1) for each Continental Federation.
Additionally, several appointed by the President
One (1) for each Continental Federation and seven (7)
from the member organization representing Japan (referred to as the “Japan Sumo Federation” in Item 2 of the Supplementary Provisions) Additionally, several appointed by the President and representative from Athletes Committee as stipulated in Article 36 as well as some representative who nominated by the President including some Executive Directors
One (1) for each Country Federation
Additionally, several appointed by the President
Article 16 Election
- The President shall be elected by the Board of Directors.
- Vice-Presidents shall be Continental Director based on election from each Continental Federation (when missing, Continental Federation shall recommendation a person or the equivalent to the Board of Directors). The President shall designate several others.
- The Secretary General shall be appointed by the President with the consent of the Board of Directors.
- Directors, Except representative from Athlete committee, shall be elected based on recommendations from each Continental Federation and the Japan Sumo Federation. Additionally, several appointed by the President.
- Executive Directors shall be elected by mutual election among the Directors.
- Auditors shall be elected by the Board of Directors. The Auditors may not hold another post at the same time.
- Trustees shall be elected based on recommendations from each Country Federation. Additionally, several appointed by the President.
Article 17 Duties
- The President shall represent the IFS and supervise its activities.
- Vice-Presidents shall assist the President and in cases where the President is unable to fulfil the duties of the office. they shall act in place of the President in the order predetermined by the President.
- The Secretary General shall be commissioned by the President to manage the affairs of the IFS.
- Executive Directors shall assist the President, Vice-Presidents and the Secretary General in handling important issues in IFS affairs .
- Directors shall attend the meetings of the Board of Directions and decide upon the execution of IFS affairs.
- Auditors shall audit the affairs and accounts of the IFS.
- Trustees shall attend general assemblies, receive reports from the Board of Directors. Trustees may respond to requests from the Board of Directors for advice by stating their opinions on items that must be communicated to the President.
Article 18 Tenure
- The tenure of officers shall be two (2) years. Officers may be re-appointed.
- The tenure of officers elected through substitution or increased numbers shall be the remaining time of previous or present officers.
- Officers shall carry out their duties after their tenure has ended until the next elected officer takes office.
Article 19 Officers’ Annual Fees
- Officers must pay annual fees to the IFS.
- The amount for these annual fees is provided separately.
Article 20 Dismissal
When an officer falls under one of the following categories, the President may dismiss the officer with the support of at least two-thirds (2/3) of the Board of Directors.
(1) If the officer is deemed to be mentally or physically unable to execute the duties of the office.
(2) If it is deemed that the officer violated an obligation of the duties of the office or committed other conduct
unbecoming of an officer.
(3) If the officer has fallen one (1) year or more in arrears of annual fees.
Article 21 Honorary President, etc.
- The IFS may appoint an honorary President, honorary Vice-President, honorary Advisors or Advisors.
- The honorary President, honorary Vice-President, honorary Advisors and Advisors shall be commissioned by the President based upon the recommendation of the Board of Directors.
- The honorary President and honorary Vice-President, may give advice to the President regarding important ISF matters.
- Honorary Advisors and Advisors shall respond to consultation from the President.
Chapter 5 Meetings
Article 22 General Assembly
The general assembly shall be comprised of the officers and the representatives of the IFS Athletes’ Commission at least one time in two years, and be convened by the President once per year.
Article 23 Board of Directors
- The Board of Directors is comprised of the President, Vice-Presidents, Secretary General , Directors and the representative(s) of the IFS Athletes’ Commission. That shall comprise at the time as a general rule once a year (in the year in which the General Assembly will be held) The meeting of the Board of Directors shall be convened once per year by the President.
- The President may also call an emergency meeting of the Board of Directors when there has been a request from the Board of Executive Directors or it is deemed necessary for other reasons.
Article 24 Items of Resolution for the Board of Directors
The Board of Directors shall decide upon the following items in addition to those specified in these rules.
(1) Issues on activities plans and budget of income and expenditure
(2) Issues on activities reports and settlement of accounts
(3) Other issues in IFS affairs
Article 25 Board of Executive Directors
- The Board of Executive Directors is comprised of the President, Vice-Presidents, Secretary General , Executive Directors and the representative(s) of the IFS Athletes’ Commission , and shall be convened by the President as required.
- The Board of Executive Directors shall deliberate upon important issues in IFS affairs.
Article 26 Chairperson of Meetings
The chairperson of meetings shall be performed by the President.
Article 27 Quorum and Decisions
- Meetings of the Board of Directors may not proceed and resolve unless at least one half (1/2) of its members are present. However, those that express their opinion regarding the applicable issues in writing in advance are considered as being present.
- Proceedings of the Board of Directors shall be decided with a majority of those present. In the case of a tie, the chairperson shall decide the issue.
Article 28 Minutes
Minutes shall be kept for all meetings, and must be signed by the meeting’s chairperson and two (2) representatives of those in attendance before being stored.
Chapter 6 Assets and Accounts
Article 29 Assets
The assets of the IFS are as follows.
(1) Properties included in the list of properties at the time of foundation
(2) Revenue resulting from assets
(3) Membership fees and annual fees from member organizations
(4) Annual fees from the officers
(5) Business revenue
(6) Revenue from broadcasting rights and advertising
(7) Official judge authorization fees
(8) Grading fees
(9) Other revenues
Article 30 Asset Management
The assets of the IFS shall be managed by the President. The method of managing the assets shall be determined by the resolution of the Board of Directors.
Article 31 Fiscal Year
The fiscal year of the IFS shall begin on 1 April and end on 31 March every year.